I spend a lot of time on the road and it can be really hard to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It’s easy to skip a work out if your best option is a boring basic gym located in the basement of a hotel. There is nothing better than being in a cool city and being able to get outside and enjoy the scenery while you exercise. Whether you are a walker, a runner or a bike rider, all three of these routes are guaranteed to distract you from the tedium of exercise.
West Side Highway, NYC
Head south towards Battery Park down the pedestrian path that keeps you safe from crazy cab drivers and allows you to run unencumbered by traffic lights and your reward will be a view of the statue of liberty. I like to head north back up Broadway for a little variety and lots of good people watching (especially on a busy week day morning!).
The Battery, Charleston
If there is a city more beautiful than Charleston, I am not aware of it. I love getting out on foot and checking out all the beautiful homes. My favorite route goes west to the water. Follow the Battery back up to East Bay street. A word of warning, the ground is very uneven and many streets are cobblestone in this historic city, proceed with caution.
Lakefront Trail, Chicago
The path is easily accessible from any hotel in downtown Chicago and it has amazing views of the city’s skyline. During warmer months there are plenty of sunbathers and boaters to watch too. It goes on for 18+ miles so you can head in either direction to vary the experience.
TIP: If you are out exercising in a strange city with little more than your iPhone to keep you company, the Starbucks app comes in handy. Not only can it help you locate the nearest store to hydrate after your adventure, but you can load money on it so that you don’t have to worry about carrying cash or a credit card along the way. Emily
- Travel Headaches and How to Cure Them - February 2, 2018
- Can You Afford NOT to Buy Travel Insurance? - August 1, 2017
- The Truth About Group Air Travel - April 24, 2017
- Experience Aruba and the Ritz - January 20, 2017
- Multi-Generational Travel and Spain - November 28, 2016
- Dining in New York - September 1, 2016
- New York Tips Galore! - May 20, 2016
- The 411 on Generational Travel in New York City - May 18, 2016
- Traveling? Three Routes to Encourage Exercise - April 4, 2016
- Anguilla… - March 3, 2016