The following questions and answers about swine flu have been prepared by our preferred travel insurance provider to help you understand the typical coverage that may be available under an iTravelInsured program- Please read your policy carefully.
1. If I would contract the swine flu, would I be covered for cancellation?
As long as the insurance was purchased before you contracted the disease, you would normally be covered for cancellation due to an Emergency Illness.
2. If I am afraid to travel to a specific area because swine flu has been detected in the area, will I have coverage for trip cancellation?
No, travel insurance does not provide coverage for “fear.” An iTravelInsured program lists specific perils that it protects an insured traveler against in the event of a cancellation. A few of the named perils that are covered for trip cancellation are Emergency Illness, Injury, Death, Job Termination or Layoff, Jury Duty, Financial Default, a Terrorist Incident, and more. Please review your insurance certificate for complete details.
3. Would I have coverage for Trip Cancellation if the U.S. government imposed an order that prohibits travel to my destination country as a result of medical quarantine?
Generally there is coverage under Trip Cancellation if you or a travel companion is medically confined by order of a governmental health authority. A “warning,”, “recommendation”, “advisory” is not considered an “order.”
4. If I would contract the swine flu while on my trip, would I have coverage for medical expenses?
As long as the disease occurs while on a covered trip, the insured traveler would be covered for emergency medical expenses. (This benefit is not available on the Single Trip Lite program.)
5. Am I covered if I buy travel insurance after a government order imposes a medical quarantine order to an area I’m in or after I become ill with swine flu?
No, an incident or accident that causes a claim must occur after the purchase of travel insurance and during the coverage period. There may be further restrictions to coverage, such as exclusions, so please be sure to review your insurance policy carefully.
Please contact iTravelInsured if you have any further questions about coverage.
iTravelInsured, Inc.2960 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
Inside the U.S.: 1-866-347-6673
Outside the U.S.: 1-317-655-9796